LIBRARY USERS’ CODE of CONDUCT
The purpose of this policy is to establish a safe, orderly and comfortable atmosphere in which all patrons and staff can use the Library. The Timmins Public Library will exercise its authority to require that patrons and visitors abide by the following rules.
Everyone is expected to:
- Treat Library staff, security, other patrons, materials, equipment and property with respect.
- Respect the rights of other Library patrons in order to preserve an atmosphere that is enjoyable for all.
- Abide by the City of Timmins’ Respect and Responsibility Policy which aims to foster an environment where there is Respect for yourself; Respect for others; and Responsibility for your actions.
- Attend to and supervise children in their care (see Unattended Children policy).
- Attend to personal belongings.
- Dress appropriately, including wearing shoes and shirts at all times.
- Consume food and drink in designated areas only.
- Use washrooms only for their intended purposes.
- Use authorized entrances and exits only.
- Refrain from placing feet/shoes/boots on furniture and chairs.
Examples of behaviour that is NOT permitted include:
- Threatening, abusive, obscene, harassing language, gestures or conduct;
- Engaging in disorderly conduct (verbal or physical) or unreasonably disturbing behaviour that offends Library patrons or staff;
- Behaviour or actions that damage Library property;
- Engaging in any type of illegal activity;
- Carrying weapons or implements which can be used as weapons;
- Interfering with the designated use of computers and networks. Patrons using public access computers or their own devices in the Library are to comply with the Library’s Internet Use Policy;
- Selling, using, possessing, or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances;
- The possession of illegal drug paraphernalia;Smoking or any type of smoking activity (vaping);
- Sleeping on Library premises;
- Soliciting, petitioning or engaging in commercial activity unless authorized by the CEO or his/her designate;
- Using cell phones or devices in a manner which disturbs others;
- Photographing or video recording without prior approval from CEO or his/her designate. Photographing, video recording or otherwise capturing the image of other people without their prior and express consent is not allowed. Consent on behalf of a child may only be given by a parent, guardian or caregiver.
- Consuming food and drink in prohibited areas;
- Using sports equipment such as rollerblades/skate boards/etc.
Animals are prohibited from entering Library facilities, with the exception of certified service, therapy or assistance animals, assistance animal trainees, and animals featured in Library-sponsored programs.
Members of the public are expected to cooperate with any requests from security and staff. These requests represent the final authority on what constitutes reasonable public behaviour on the premises.
Based on an internal investigation, behaviour in violation of these rules or that otherwise constitutes objectionable conduct may result in suspension of Library privileges, exclusion from the Library in accordance with the Trespass to Property Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. T.21, or prosecution.
These rules have been approved by the Timmins Public Library Board.
TPL-CHI-11 Unattended Children policy
TPL-SER-07 Internet Use Policy
Trespass to Property Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. T.21
City of Timmins Respect and Responsibility Policy (RZone) (COT-HR-043)