Social Media (Draft)
Social media will be used as a venue for sharing information resources and facilitating communication between library users and staff. The Timmins Public Library recognizes and respects differences in opinion. Feedback and opinions are welcome so long as they are presented in an objective and respectful way. This policy identifies and defines the appropriate use and responsibility requirements for staff and public users of the Library social media sites.
- Social media is defined as any web application, site, or account created and maintained by the Timmins Public Library which facilitates an environment for library staff and library users to share opinions and information about library-related subjects or issues.
We are committed to:
- Responding to questions and concerns in a timely manner;
- Maintaining the highest levels of accuracy, objectivity, and impartiality in the information that we communicate;
- Respecting the privacy and anonymity of those with whom we communicate;
- Respecting freedom of speech and difference of opinion while protecting staff and users from offensive, abusive, or otherwise inappropriate speech;
- Providing accessible and inclusive services.
We expect the following from those who use our social media services:
- Show courtesy and respect to Library staff and other users;
- Keep comments family-friendly and follow our posting guidelines;
- Adhere to all levels of government legislation including the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Posts will be populated regularly by assigned staff. Messages and posts will be simple, engaging, and may link the reader to further information on the Library’s websites or other external resources. All posts will be in compliance with standards of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). In addition to this policy, staff will also adhere to the City of Timmins Social Media Policy.
4.0 Posting Guidelines
The Library regards online social media in the same way as its other information resources in accordance with its mission of enriching the lives of individuals.
In addition to the general rules respecting use of the library, the Library prohibits the use of its social media for any purpose which would contravene any legislation or government regulation, or which might create civil liability by the user or the Library Board to any person. Use of Library social media is conditional on the user’s agreement to observe this policy.
Comments, posts and messages are welcome on Library social media sites, provided they do not contain:
- Obscene or racist content;
- Personal attacks, insults, or threatening language;
- Potentially libelous statements;
- Plagiarized material;
- Private, personal information published without consent;
- Comments totally unrelated to the content of the forum;
- Hyperlinks to material that is not directly related to the discussion;
- Commercial promotions, individual endorsements, or spam;
- Organized political activity.
All social media sites affiliated with the Library will be regularly screened by library employees. All postings which contain any of the above will be immediately removed and the poster blocked from posting any subsequent messages to Library social media sites at the discretion of Library management.
The Library does not verify the accuracy, truthfulness or reliability of any information posted by users, nor any opinions or confirmation of credentials of any user. The Library is not responsible for the reliability of content provided via links that are posted to our social media sites. The Library does not endorse any business, advertisement, goods or services and will not be held responsible for any claims arising in that respect.
Notwithstanding the criteria listed above, Library management reserves the right to post, refuse to post or remove any content at any time, without notice.
By posting content the user agrees to indemnify the Timmins Public Library and its officers and employees from and against all liabilities, judgments, damages and costs (including attorney’s fees) incurred by any of them which arise out of or are related to the posted content.
As with more traditional resources, the Library does not act in place of or in the absence of a parent. The Library is not responsible for enforcing any restrictions which a parent or guardian may place on a minor’s use of this resource.
The Library will never use information shared through its social media for commercial purposes nor will it share this information with third-parties. Personal data will be saved only to ensure service delivery and only within the existing legal framework. We will share personal data with other institutions only as required by law.
If any user does not agree to these terms, they are not to use the service, as violation of the terms can lead to legal liability.
City of Timmins Social Media Policy (COT-HR-033)
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, S.O. 2005, c.11